Welcome to The Albin News!

The Albin News is general news items about an out-of-the-way railroad town in the very southeast corner of Wyoming.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Albin news Nov 22,2010

Albin News Readers

In Albin this week, Jack Frost finally set in, there was a grand opening at the Albin store, and the Pokes took out their football frustration on the poor little lambs from Fort Collins. I started feeling sorry for CSU after about the third quarter and had to quit listening. At one point Cordell Willert asked “how bad are they winning now?” The UW football team was the official tackling dummy for top ten college football teams this year and I guess they finally had had enough.

The grand opening at the Albin store had a good turn out due to the promise of free tacos! A big crowd turned out and the food didn’t disappoint. The store was well stocked with specialty groceries from Mexico, including a cooler for Mexican cheeses and meats. They also have convenience store snack stuff available.

Here’s the latest on Tim Malm from Dixie:

“Hello from Oklahoma!  I (Dixie) flew down on Thursday for a sisters weekend.  I was sick on the way down and had a antibiotic called in on Friday!  I think it was strep and flight germs all combined and spent the day in bed with a severe soar throat/fever/chills.  With lots of prayer with every sip I made myself swallow, I gave it to God and said if He wanted me to sing on Sunday and be able to be around my sisters--He could!  I woke up with absolutely no sore throat, no fever/chills, and great energy and we had a fabulous day!  PTL!!!  Timothy called me several times to "check" on me.  It was such a joy time sharing in FBC (Walters) and Union Valley (Cookietown) songs and hugs with so many of God's praying people!  Thank you again and again!  Timothy is snapping his fingers, lifting his own left arm, gaining strength for sitting unsupported, and so many "little" (big in our eyes) things everyday either new or stronger!  I will be back home tomorrow.  I will challenge myself and each of you to read Psalm 100 every day--until and on Thanksgiving Day!  We have so much to be thankful for...so thankful for another time with all my sisters (Please continue to pray miracles for Shena)and our mom!  Thankful for Howard, my best friend, and our four gifts-Tim, Beth, Cass, & Jess, especially for working together so I could come to OK!  Thankful for our friends who have watched over (food, picking up Beth, visits, helping with cattle on Sat, etc) Howard and the kids while I've been gone!  I could write a list, I hope you will sometime this week--but above all, I thank my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, for paying the price for me--my Heavenly Father for His grace, mercy, and love--for the Holy Spirit who lives in/through me to keep me on His path.  Thank you again for your prayers and Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!”

Cindi had this to say about son Garrett’s progress:

“OK where to begin. Monday we arrive to Craig, and took me most of the day to figure out where I was at or where we were suppose to go! They said that the first week would be mostly tests/assessments so they could set up a plan for G.
He has had a cat scan, x-ray (lungs) and a NIVA (non-invasive vascular assessment) or ultrasound for clots in the major extremities.
He has a sm clot in R leg so takes belly shots twice a day.  R leg - seems strange since that is his active leg. Oh well! Every night they measure calf and thigh of both legs and that is how they tell if it is dissolving or not. Pretty interesting. He had 24 hr bed rest but got up on Wed.
And this should come to no surprise - he has C-diff again.
G has had 3 different kinds of beds - a regular bed, but he is so fidgety, they moved him to a safe keeper. This bed is on the floor and has padded sides like wrestling mats. If I left I had to close the end of it and lock it - looked like a giant play pen with no netting. I did not like that, nor did the nurses. He kept wiggling off the wedge in the corner, it was hard to move him, hard on your back plus I had to take my shoes off. Now we have a posey bed. This is a regular bed with netting around it. Again when I leave I have to zip him all up and lock the zipper. Seems kind of silly at this point but I see if you had a patient wanting to get out.
His schedule is different every day. He sees Speech, PT, OT and a Psychologist. Psychologist - "G, how are you doing?" G stares at him thinking "Hey, bud, how do you think I am doing?"
I must say that everyone has been so nice. I also have to add that they were very nice at Kindred also. I would take any of those nurses, CNA's (at Craig they are called Techs), PT, OT, Speech any day. All are very wonderful. Unlike Kindred, the Nutritionist from Craig came in the first day and we talked about juicing. NO fight. I can do whatever I want as long as I write it down so she can keep track of the calories. I look forward to working with her! I am not saying it is my juicing or if someone's scales are off, but G on the 9th weighed 142 and on the 17th weighed 149. I don't know, just seemed kind of high.
G has a wheelchair. There are 3 kinds of passes - hospital grounds, off campus or in the car. I have done what I needed to do so I can take him outside or over to my apartment. I took a seizure test and got signed off with PT, OT and the Doc. They asked me if I wanted a car pass and I said NO. I would have no problem getting him in the car, and actually no problem getting him out of the car, BUT out of the car into the wheelchair maybe another thing!!!
G is wanting to talk so bad. Speech has/is trying vital stimulation with electrodes under the chin and above the vocal cords. Phonetory Apraxia is when you make noise when you cough or clear throat, but not when you want to as in talking.
Scott is in Denver Mon and Tue so I could come home. The weather is absolutely gorgeous in Denver, so it felt really good sweeping the sidewalks earlier tonight of snow. Man, was it foggy between Ft. Collins and Cheyenne. (But it did not slow me down! Thank you, Jesus, for a safe trip.)
What to pray for #1 G will get up and show everyone how it is done #2 L side movement - I believe this week he is getting a cast because his arm is so tight - can't move very good when you have tight muscles #3 voice #4 good weather for the holiday travelers.
Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. I thank the Good Lord for what He is doing in my son's life. It is 'sad' but the process is very interesting. I have faith that G will walk, talk, go back to school, and someday be a husband and father. OK I am getting the cart way ahead of the horse. All in God's time. Colossians 3:15-17 Psalm 96:1-4, 98:1, 105:1-5 Romans 11:36 Philippians 4:19-20
HAPPY THANKSGIVING”

In Ag news, the uncertainty over what the price of corn should be continues. I have a feeling the dry bean and sunflower buyers aren’t going to be in any hurry to offer a contract until they see where corn settles.

The market was all over the place last week, mostly down. The biggest issue was China took steps to reduce the inflation of its currency. Besides currency manipulation from China, there are several factors which should keep the corn prices moving in the coming weeks: ethanol policy (this was talked about two weeks ago), energy prices, weather, economic news, and planting intention reports.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the blender’s credit of $0.45/gal or “VEETC” is set to expire on Dec 31. According to Nebraska’s Senator Ben Nelsen, extending the blender’s credit hasn’t really come on the radar of lawmakers so far in this lame duck session. To try to get a rough idea of the potential impact of not extending VEETC, I looked at a chart of ethanol prices over the past six months and the same chart for corn prices. To tell you the truth, I couldn’t tell the two charts apart. The price of corn and the price of ethanol are tracking right together. I also noticed that a change in $0.45/gal of ethanol is roughly equivalent to a $1.10/bu for corn.

In closing, I would like to wish the area farmers the best of luck with these planting decisions and pass along some sage advice I was given last year. I was agonizing over whether or not I should sell my sugar beet shares or try to raise them a second year. Steve Eardman of Scottsbluff told me “you can’t go broke making money.”

No comments:

Post a Comment