Welcome to The Albin News!

The Albin News is general news items about an out-of-the-way railroad town in the very southeast corner of Wyoming.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Albin News Jan 3, 2010

Albin News Readers,

This week in Albin has been slower than molasses in January. It’s a slow time of year but this week’s cold spell only made it slower. The mercury took a dive down around zero Thursday night and it started snowing. It was a white out Friday morning and after noon and by night was negative 4 with a 20 mph wind. This puts the windchill at around -25 degrees F. I was glad that I wasn’t a cow and that my cows at least had a good wind break to get in behind.

One thing that has been moving fast is the massive seismic survey of Laramie County. Helicopters could be seen dropping bags of gear on a grid with convoy of thumper trucks following behind. The survey is planned for around 800 square miles of Laramie county and will move it's way east to west. The town of Albin is about 15 miles to the East of the planned survey. This survey is being done by one survey company, Global Resources, and is independent of the crews seen around Albin this summer. The information gleaned from the survey should help oil extraction companies zero in on the best spots to drill.

Here's an abbreviated version of Dixie's latest update on Tim:

We are setting our walking goal for this month!  He is so close to getting the last toe (the big one) off the floor in order to kick his lower leg out for the step!!  He is texting some--- as many of you know!  He also has called his own phone to tell himself he's doing a great job and keep working!  We are enjoying these messages and it will help him listen to his voice as God heals and restores it back to his tone and intonation as it was before the accident.  He has some assistance in pulling himself up and now can hold himself upright for a longer period by himself without any assistance!!PTL!!  Continue to pray for all the strength, coordination, timing, etc that is coming back!!  We also praise and thank God for all the protection against any cold/flu/junk germs that Tim has not caught--especially with all his visitors.  He really enjoys all the visits and cards!

Here's Cindi's latest update on Garrett:

Happy New Year one and all! Scott was planning on coming down Friday but could not because of the blizzard. It did snow in Denver but not much and definitely NO wind. I wonder if the buildings have anything to do with that! Scott did come today but is not spending the night.
One day in speech - I love speech, I learn so much - Garrett said that his head hurt. It was not a headache, but 
cognitive fatigue (more stimuli than the brain can process). Speech is also working on lengthening voice (air flow). Say 'AH' for as long as you can - uh, barely over a second! Last week Angie had given him a party horn. He has been practicing on it so by the end of the week he could hold 'AH' for about 4 seconds. Way to go son! :) She tried pitch (low voice - high voice) - uh, he is as monotone as it gets. Another piece of info - the amount of air determines if it's a whisper or a shout. Never thought about it before.
When I transfer G from bed to chair, I think, I'm pretty sure, I am suppose to have a spotter. Well, I will look down the hall, I see no one - I will call for a tech, count to 20 (maybe it is 5) and if no one comes, I just do it. It works out just fine except this ONE time. Not quite sure what happened, if G's pants got caught on the wheelchair but every time I tried to move him, the wheelchair also moved. Yes the brakes were locked - at least I think they were - yes they were. Anyway, I was in a pickle so I just SAT G on the floor and recalled for a tech. All we needed to do was pick him up and put him in the chair. Tech came in and turned around saying something about nurse and evaluate. Nurse came in and asked G how was his head. I very calmly told him that he did NOT fall but I sat him on the floor.
Wed T-Rec had a Christmas Light Tour. That was lots of fun since I love lights. We went to Belleview and Eleti/Elati, down Santa Fe to Hudson/Watson Gardens, and toured downtown Littleton then up to the City/County Building. Sorry about the spelling or places we went, it is really hard to write in the dark - especially when you don't have pen or paper. :) It was lots of fun and I think G had a good time, too.
PT has signed me off on car transfers. Today while Scott was here, we went to Walmart and over to the Cherry Creek Mall. I may know how to do a car transfer, but it is Scott that lifts him into the pickup. G still did not want to buy anything so we just walked around. Ate Greek and G had about 1/4 of my Gyro sandwich - which would be considered regular food and not advanced. Remember - practice!
One night we were watching Funny Home Videos. Hadn't seen it for a while - forgot how funny it is. I'm laughing and I can hear G saying 'HA . . . HA . . . HA'. Haven't ever thought about laughter - I have heard him chuckle but not laugh. Laughter is GOOD medicine - will have to watch more of that.
One night in bed, he was sooo tired. He wanted me to leave (second time he has done that). I told him I would when he shuts his eyes. He said 'MY EYES ARE SHUT' I said how come I can still see the black spot in the middle of your eye. He said 'YOU HAVE X-RAY VISION' His nurse was standing there and we both chuckled.
What to pray for #1 L movement - he is starting (beginning stages) to move the L arm towards him. Thank you, Jesus, for the feeling in the L arm and leg. I BELIEVE feeling in the hand and foot will follow soon. Matthew 17:20 #2 emotion - his beautiful laugh will return, happy/sad tears. He shows no emotion but he has to feel it? When he asks me 'WHAT HAPPENED' and I tell him, is he crying on the inside or just taking in some information? 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 #3 R eye opening - it is opening more and more - sometimes he sees 1 of you and sometimes he sees 2 of you. Wed is another vision check. Ephesians 1:18-20 Exodus 15:2 2 Corinthians 3:5”

In Ag news, there are several good conferences coming up. Dry Beans days are Jan 6 in Gering and the Cattle Industry National Convention and NCBA Trade Show is Feb 2-5 in Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment