Welcome to The Albin News!

The Albin News is general news items about an out-of-the-way railroad town in the very southeast corner of Wyoming.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Albin news Feb 28, 2010

Albin News Readers,

My apologies for the lapse in news last week! There wasn’t anything on my Albin News radar and everyone I talked to about Albin News said “nothing happened that I know of!” If anything reportable happened last week, send it along and I’ll report it next week. My general operating assumption is that something is always happening to someone but for whatever reason that someone to whom the something is happening isn’t always forthcoming about the particulars. The thing to do is to call that someone you’re thinking about and get the scoop straight from the horse’s mouth. Now for the news.

In community news, Lyle and Sheila Bowman are selling 25 of their angus bulls in the 2011 Vision Angus sale. They have worked hard to put exceptional genetics into their herd and it shows. You can look at the sale catalogue online by going to www.visionangus.com. The sale date is next Monday, March 7, in North Platte, NE. If you have questions, you can get all the details straight from the horse’s mouth by calling 307-246-3281.

Dixie had this update on Tim:

“Tim had good progress this week, but the highlight was sitting up in bed by himself and using the stairs to walk (with our assistance) into and out of the pool!  He continues to ask God to 'answer' quicker with his progress.  We ask you to pray for the suffering-perseverance-character-hope attitude (Romans 5:2-4) to continue as we all watch and 'wait on the Lord' with Tim's healing and restoration. Continue to pray for strength, coordination, balance as we are ever so close to taking those unassisted steps, for vision and voice quality to continue to improve, and for the full function of his left arm/hands/fingers! Tim set up his own Facebook and learning all about his updated phone as many of you know--the computer time has been great for him--he so enjoys reading the texts, wall posts, emails, cards!  He likes to talk on the phone as many of you also know--thank you for your time with your acts of encouragement and prayer support.  Next Sunday will complete our 9th month on this journey---so we ask you to pray for renewed energy, focus, and strength especially for Tim, but also for us, as we walk with Him day by day! (great song!)”

Cindy had this update on Garrett:

“Garrett, are you going to miss me . . . 'NO' . . . well why not . . . 'YOU'RE COMING HOME WITH ME' . . . where am I going to stay . . . 'IN THE GARAGE'. Sounds like I need to have a chat with my son on how to treat a lady :)
Prayers ARE being answered. Speech worked on rehearsal (remember - told a piece of info & you repeat it over & over in your brain) and writing it down. Rehearsal only works if it is for a short period of time. For longer periods (mtgs, appointments) you would usually write them down in a planner, calendar or notes. G did an awesome job this week remembering names or phone numbers till he could write them. His handwriting is getting better with each passing week. The miracles don't stop there - Fri PT told me I needed to buy shoes AND Sat AM when I walked into the room, of course, G said 'I AM HUNGRY'. I said that we needed to go shopping and buy something, what was it . . . 'SHOES'. He remembered -- That's not a PTL moment, that's a PRAISE THE LORD moment.
Speech shows G a letter and he had to pick any word that started with that letter. He did great till the letter A . . . 'MY BUTT' . . . what . . . 'I DON'T WANT TO SAY IT MOM'S HERE'. Thank you, my son, but there's a million and one A words and that's the one you pick :) He gave me a high five.
Speech asked if I had considered a medical ID bracelet. Thought that was a good idea. Dad was being funny & said ' . . . if lost, please call . . .'
PT/OT did discharge measurements. One example with the forearm (elbow against body) supination (cup of soup) or out should be 90 degrees and pronation or in should also be 90 degrees. Both are refreshing my brain on stretching.
G got his L brace and can only wear it a couple of hours a day, then I need to check foot for red areas. The brace is wonderful and so far NO red areas. I was home for only 2 days and Fri G was walking with PT with no walker or e-stim. He is changing every week by leaps and bounds! Mon, she will walk G with brace by itself and a combination of walker/e-stim. See what he does better with. Did I not say YOUR prayers ARE being answered & No Worries!? God is SO good and this process is, sad to say, kind of interesting!
Family mtg was nothing earth shattering . . . Therapies getting packets ready . . . G does not need any more wake up meds, just those specific in attention and cognitive speed . . . Ripley gave his spill on NO alcohol, cigarette smoke and high risk activities that would cause a second head injury (2ndimpact syndrome) - guess Pro Wrestling or Boxing will have to take a back seat for awhile . . . have a 6 wk follow-up. Ripley gave a good scenario . . . you have a V-8 that is missing 2 spark plugs, it still runs but does not respond as fast as it should - it takes more fuel to get the same performance. As with G, it takes a lot of energy and he tires fast. There is NO pushing because like I said before the brain shuts down. Rest is needed. Getting back to the 2 spark plugs . . . FYI we have a connection WAY UP NORTH pondering the 2 spark plugs. He knows what is best - He will decide if G is perfect as he is OR He might have an extra spark plug or 2 - He said they may be available tomorrow :) :) or we may have to wait a year or maybe longer :) BUT not to worry.
Vision clinic - Scott was there andhe did a great job asking my questions. For whatever reason, G does not have double vision any more so no more taped glasses. Seems strange that he has no double vision since his L is still looking up?! (Oh the wonders of the body) Did ask about surgery to drop the L eye if G would find midline or center better - No. Surgery would purely be cosmetic and could actually make him see double again. The R pupil is still fixed but to wait because that's the last to recover.
What to pray for #1 L leg coming along so beautifully - L arm/hand a little slower #2 R eye will fall with no double vision. I have a handsome son and I know when he comes out of PTA, his eye will bother him and probably want to get it fixed #3 attention and cognition - he IS improving every week #4 PTA #5 3 working days left #6 WEDNESDAY Scott surprised us and came down for the day. Didn't know if he could come Wed or not and asked if I could get everything in my car. That would be a big fat NO - amazing how much stuff you accumulate! Took a pickup load home today. I want to go to AM classes and he has pool in PM. I really want HIM (not me) to have one more pool time. He enjoys is very much and does so well. It won't be till summer when he sees another pool again.”

I know spring time is around the corner for sure now because Cabelas sent me a catalogue showing a guy fishing in a t-shirt and shorts. This surely means that you and I, with a little help from Cabelas, can soon put on our summer clothes back on and go fishing.

Yet another sure sign of spring is the return of Master Gardner Ann Sanchez’s addition to the Albin News! Ann had this to say this week:

“The occasional warm weather is giving me hope that soon I'll be out in the garden. This week I'm setting out my plant shelves and connecting the grow lights to timers. It's also a good time to sit down and plan out this year's garden on paper. Putting a plan on paper saves me money because once I start looking at seed catalogs, I get carried away and order more seeds than I need. Our family loves beans, tomatoes, squash, carrots, and corn from the garden, and of course what would a garden be worth if it didn't have a section of herbs?
My goal for this season's articles on gardening will include a paragraph on my journey of building a high tunnel for gardening in my yard. High tunnels will: give extra hours in a growing season, increase my harvest, conserve water use, and most of all add protection from hail and wind. I know that the NRCS is offering contracts that will help pay for some of the expense of putting up a high tunnel, but because of their guidelines and regulations, I decided not to pursue that opportunity.
Nancy Sundin shared with me a fascinating website called; "wintersown.org." This site offers information about starting plants outside even if your weather is still cold. There is also a wealth of gardening ideas and opportunities on this site.
A fun site for herb enthusiasts is: "All About Thyme: A Weekly Calendar of Times and Seasonings." The author of the website is an accomplished author who has written many novels, including mysteries that feature plant lore, woven into her stories. If you enjoy her site, you may sign up for her weekly newsletter.
Until next week,
Ann W. Sanchez”


In ag news, the multi-peril crop insurance price discovery period for corn and sunflowers is now finished. Corn came in at $6.01/bu, confectionary sunflowers at $35.50/cwt, and oil sunflowers at $30.50/cwt. Winter wheat has already been set at $7.75/bu and soybeans, barley, grain sorghum and canola won’t be set until March 15th. These commodity prices are the same for both the yield protection and revenue protection insurance options. There will be another harvest time price discovery periods to determine if there is an insurable loss or not. Revenue protection insurance is available for corn, sunflowers (oil and confectionary), soybeans, barley, grain sorghum, canola, rice and cotton. Only yield protection insurance is available for other crops such as dry beans, millet, and sugar beets. March 15th is also the deadline for changing which type of insurance you want for corn and sunflowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment